AdSense

Sabado, Hulyo 27, 2013

Sisterlocks - An Interview With a Leading Master Trainer by a Sisterlock Client - Health

Black hair care can be quite a roller coaster ride if you like variety or if you are unsure what hair style works best for you. Going natural with my hair has been my thing for some 5 years now, I have just recently passed my 2nd anniversary with my sisterlocs. My two year experience with Sisterlocks has been a wonderfully freeing and satisfying adventure.

In the beginning the hefty price for the first three visits can be quite daunting especially for those whose mind is not made up. I had done my research beforehand and knew beyond any doubt that this natural hairstyle was right for me.

I must say with laughter that my first 6-9 months I thought I looked like a drowned rat. Because of my hair texture it took almost a year and a half for my hair to really start locking. By then the length had become reasonable and now my length is past my shoulders.

The fullness, length and versatility make me feel beautiful. Any uneasiness I had at the start has been well worth the time, money and effort to arrive at this point. It is important to be able to see the big picture before making an investment into this natural hair lifestyle.

Choosing a Sisterloc consultant will be the most important step in the process. My Sisterlock consultant has been a godsend. It is because of her that my first year went so smoothly. One morning during our 6 week appointment I took the time to do a brief interview with my stylist Blenna Williams. She owns and operates Salon Nature'lle in Memphis, TN,

PFP: What kind of certification or training do you go through as a Sisterlock consultant?

Blenna: One starts out as a trainee, then becomes a certified consultant, then R-certified from there to associate trainer. I am now a master trainer.

PFP: What do you believe is the number one reason why women get Sisterlocs?

Blenna: It is twofold, 1 the beauty of them and 2 the healthy hair therapy they receive and still keep their hair looking feminine and stylish.

PFP: After their initial consultation, what do you believe is the main reason why women choose not to get Sisterlocks?

Blenna: They don't understand the pricing and how your first three visits set up your lifestyle change.

PFP: What do you find is the leading cause of damage to many African American womens hair?

Blenna: First is the lack of knowledge, second is the chemicals. We tend to take care of our hair only after it's been altered and not in it's natural state.

PFP: What is the biggest problem women seem to have caring for their Sisterlocs when they first get them.

Blenna: We have so little knowledge of our natural hair pattern. We don't see how beautiful our hair can be. As a master trainer I work closely with my clients in the beginning thereby alleviating any fears and teaching the client proper care until they are comfortable with the process. There are definite steps and stages. This is why we advocate seeking a certified Sisterloc consultant.

PFP: What is the number one stereotype you wish people would get rid of regarding black womens' hair?

Blenna: That by showing our natural hair texture we are exposing negative stereotypes such as nappy headed, when really we are showing the beauty that God gave us.

PFP: What is your best description of what Sisterlocs are and how they look?

Blenna: Sisterlocks are small micro locs that have been interwoven into a stable cylinder that allows the hair to express itself naturally.

PFP: Do you train others how to do Sisterlocs?

Blenna: Yes, at this time there are four master trainers with the company. We go to different cities training others. If one has not gone through a certified Sisterlock training then they are not doing Sisterlocks. They are what we call Step-Sisterlocs and buyer beware. One can check online at the official Sisterlock wesite for a certified consultant or trainee in their area.

It is becoming wonderfully apparent that more and more black women are choosing natural hairstyles. Even the media is actually portraying African American women with natural hair styles across their pages and channels. It is definitely enlightening to see women becoming more comfortable with who they are.





iAutoblog the premier autoblogger software

0 (mga) komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento